What can we expect on the education front from a conservative government with an unassailable majority? Here are some pre-manifesto thoughts.
We are certain to get:
- Grammar schools. The bigger the majority, the more we’ll get.
- Baseline tests.
- Forced academisation.
- No budget increase.
These are things you are likely to get:
- A new Secretary of State – a grammar schools hardliner.
- Designated MATs for newly academised schools to move into ie no more SATs.
- More proscription of teaching methods. This will start with the right for parents to demand access to a textbook for their child.
- Removal of any class size limits.
Here are some unlikely options that I couldn’t when thinking, entirely rule out:
- Selective primary schools.
- Removal of Pupil Premium funding.
- Enforced streaming in non-grammars.
- Enforced conversion to grammar school status.
Generally what we’ll see is the higher the majority the greater the proscription.